Relationship between Carpet shampooing and KD

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
jmrn44

Re: Relationship between Carpet shampooing and KD

Post by jmrn44 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:23 pm

Many say kd is not from carpet cleaning etc. but even if one did not clean carpets etc. a child could come in contact with it from hotel, school, resteraunt, church, relative house or cars friends house etc. Mold is another concern. Cooresponded with a lady from switzerland whose child had kd after moving into aprtmnt and pulled back carpet infront of the air cond. and mushrooms were growing. U know how oftern apt carpets are cleaned and carpets stay wet for approx 10-12 hrs. Makes u wonder.

smb1976

Post by smb1976 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:55 pm

My daughter was also diagnosed within the week of using a "do it yourself" carpet cleaner.

markgw
25+ Posts

Post by markgw » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:05 pm

This is interesting. We discussed the circumstances prior to our son contracting KD the other day after reading this discussion (He had KD quite a while ago now) and recall a connection to this "dampness" idea
we were renting a flat at the time, and our son had a bad run with his general wellness. His room was very damp. We ran a dehumidifier in his room all winter. I worked out a while later that the drainage for the rainwater was faulty and the roof run-off flowed and collected under the corner of the house where his room was. I had the landlord have new drainage installed and the room dried out. We never made the connection with his KD until now.
Perhaps this idea of dampness, carpet cleaning and stagnant water needs revisiting.

markgw
25+ Posts

Post by markgw » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:19 pm

jrotsen wrote:.....There have been clusters and there are seasonal spikes of KD, also suggesting an infectious trigger.
This actually suggests an environmental trigger.

markgw
25+ Posts

Post by markgw » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:35 pm

Nancy wrote:
Saying that a child played on a newly cleaned carpet and later became sick is faulty logic...similar to saying my child drank apple juice and then developed KD...therefore, apple juice causes KD.....
IF carpet cleaning were a cause of KD...we would see an epidemic !
That's not the same thing at all. Investigating the relationship between an outcome and a relatively unusual event (such as exposure to recently cleaned or otherwise damp carpets), is perfectly valid. Statistical correlation is measurable.

Nancy
KD Forum Leader

Post by Nancy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:01 pm

in the toddler/preschool years...spills and other carpet "accidents" are at their most frequent...and carpet cleaning is NOT an unusual event
in most US households :)

ps the original "carpet cleaning" theory had NOTHING to do with chemicals or dampness or water or molds ! It theorized that during the cleaning
process...the dust mites living in said carpet were "stirred up" and perhaps "bit" the child and transferred the infectious agent to the child.

The theory was never proven and has been discarded ! So...let's all move on and promote awareness and research so that the cause of KD and
ultimately better diagnosis and treatment can be discovered !

nancy

dee65

Post by dee65 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:17 pm

My daughter had KD when she was 3 yrs.old but I was never told it was from chemicals in cleaning solutions. Rather that its a virus that is picked up by touching foul or its feces, such as ducks. In my daughter's case the babysitter would take her and her twin sister to a near by lake to feed the ducks in the afternoons. One day she started to have a high fever and to vomit. I took her to the emergency room and was told it was a stomach virus to let it run its course. After the second day of high fever I took her back and this time they said it was the flu and sent us home again. I noticed she had a very red tongue and her extremities were stiff and her palms and bottom of her feet were peeling. Her fever continued to be over 101 and her sister didn't get sick so I knew it wasn't the flu. I went back on the 5th day of the fever and refused to leave the emergency room till I was given a proper diagnosis. A resident doctor came to see her and asked me if I lived near a lake or pond or if I had any pet birds? I told him about the lake near my home and he immediately alerted the head doctor and an echo gram was made of her heart. The virus attacks the heart and water starts to accumulate around the muscle. They immediately put her in intensive care and gave her antibiotics and combinations of other medicines and on a heart monitor. She was in ICU for 7 days and she almost died on the 2nd day because her heart stopped beating. Once she became better she had to be monitored by a cardiologist every 2 mons. for 2 yrs. and now she's 14 and has no symtoms. I don't know if the other stories related to chemicals are valid but I have asked several cardiologists and they have all given me the same answer , its a virus carried by foul and can be air borne. From that time I don't allow my children or any children in my family to have birds as pets or go near any ducks or foul in petting zoos or farms. I can't imagine what the Travolta's are going through and I look at my daughter and know how lucky we were to get the correct diagnosis and have the best care available.

Nancy
KD Forum Leader

Post by Nancy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:21 pm

PLEASE NOTE: as of today, January 5, 2009...the CAUSE of KAWASAKI DISEASE remains UNKNOWN...

There has been no "virus" (as stated in the previous post) proven to cause KD..

best,
nancy
mom to jason

gapno14

Post by gapno14 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:44 pm

When my daughter was diagnosed in 1995 the carpet cleaner question was one of the first asked of me. But a 100% connection could not be established. I did use a dry carpet cleaner at the time and was actually told to hang onto it for 5 years. No cause could be established. My daughter is a very healthy 16 year old now thanks to her doctor;s quick diagosis and treament during this disease.

mdw_johnson
10+ Posts

Post by mdw_johnson » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:38 am

I cleaned our carpets too right before she had KD but of course those unknown things. Alot of talk about KD since John Travolta's son died and it too has made me a little uneasy. My daughter had a enlarged vessel in 2005 and early 2006 and the Cheif Cardiologist told me that my daughter Kenadey would HAVE to have her heart tested every 5 years for life. I will make sure that happens. She has no known complications from the disease but my mother-in-law has epilepsy so we are a little nervous-even though she has not had any seizures. My deal is to make sure I do exactly what they suggest to have her tested every 5 years and that happens next month. I am very blessed to have a healthy child now after all her illnesses she has had before KD and after. Looking at her today with her wonderful personality you would never know we were told my baby had almost lost her life twice now. She is wonderful as well as my 12 year old.

smilesfam

Post by smilesfam » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:04 pm

Hello,
My son was diagnosed in January of 2003 after about 5 days of fever and other symptoms. He was only 5 1/2 months old at the time. We DID have our carpets cleaned about a month prior and he also had Chicken Pox about 3 weeks prior as well. He is now 6 years old and is very healthy and active. There was some concern initially that his left artery appeared slightly enlarged but they said it was so slight it may have been a normal variation. His last follow up which was in feb of 2008 (which was the first follow up since 2004) showed everything was normal the left artery was no longer enlarged. He will go back for echocardiagram about every 5 years, I guess for the rest of his life.

We were asked if we had our carpets recently cleaned at the time and were told that there was an "unofficial "connection between carpet cleaning and KD. It seems that it would be fairly easy to figure the percentage of children that were exposed to carpet cleaning around the time or prior to onset of symptoms.

bethroth
KD Forum Leader

Post by bethroth » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:25 pm

My son who is 6 years post KD was rolling around on my sisters still damp carpet 3 days prior to getting KD. At the time of diagnosis our Ped. asked if he had been exposed to any recently cleaned carpet. When we told him that he had 3 days prior to the first symptoms showing up he sent us right to the hospital. I know that the carpet theory has been dismissed and my thought is that when your child has a predispostion to KD they come in contact with something be it carpet cleaning or some other source then KD becomes active. I don't think there is just one trigger. I think that every child is different some of our children were exposed to freshly cleaned carpet and became sick others exposed to another source and the KD was set off. I have 5 children who all have been on freshly shampooed carpet but my 4th child was the only one to get KD. I still do not let him on freshly shampooed carpet. Since I feel that was his trigger I don't want to take a chance of a reaccurrance. Just my thoughts!

Beth

djyr2003

Post by djyr2003 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:24 pm

At the age of 6 I was diagnosed with Kawaski Disease. At the time I was in kindergarten in a newly constructed school and the carpets had been recently cleaned. I suffered with the desise at home for over a week until the symptoms were bad enough that I was forced to go to the hospital. The family doctor did not hear of this, nither did the other 10+ doctors that visited me untill I was visted by 1 that was from Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia. I am 18 now, and have been living with the side effects from late treatment. I have a giant conary ansuyrsam and have to take 10mg of comundin each day. I would like to see more efforts in researching the links between carpet cleaner and Kawasaki's Desease.

Sherry Anderson

Post by Sherry Anderson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:16 pm

My daughter Julia became ill the day after being exposed to damp carpeting.
"Lab Rats" showed no connection, but how can this possibly be a coincedence?
Just seems that there are too many stories related to shampooing for there not to be some link?

Nancy
KD Forum Leader

Post by Nancy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:25 pm

in the news today:
nancy

CHICAGO (WBBM/AP) - The death of actor John Travolta's 16-year-old son Jett did not come from the Kawasaki's syndrome which afflicted him at age 2 or 3 according to the head of infectious diseases at Chicago's Children's Memorial Hospital.

The death certificate lists a seizure as the cause of death, according to an undertaker in the Bahamas, where Jett Travolta died Friday. Family representatives and lawyers declined requests Tuesday for more information, fueling speculation that has swirled for years about the boy's health.

A Travolta attorney said the teen had a history of seizures, and John Travolta has said his son was successfully treated when he was 2 for Kawasaki syndrome, a rare disease.

Dr. Stanley Schulman with Children's Memorial Hospital says that Kawasaki's syndrome can lead to early onset cardiac disease if not treated, but does not lead to autism or seizures.

Schulman says videos of Travolta's son show behavioral abnormalities which could have psychiatric or neurological origins. He says Travolta's son did have a seizure disorder which could, if not controlled, lead to a fall and head injury as described by reports from the Bahamas.

Researchers say Kawasaki's syndrome hits 15 out of every 100,000 children, 85 percent of them under the age of five.

Schulman says it causes high fever as well as red eyes, lips, tongue and swollen lymph glands. It is the leading cause of heart disease in children, 25 percent of whom go on to develop heart disease.

Schulman says researchers believe Kawasaki's is an auto-immune disease triggered by a virus, but the cause isn't yet definite.