KD and frequent urination

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
MrsBales
10+ Posts

KD and frequent urination

Post by MrsBales » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:58 am

I saw some 2007 posts regarding this but wanted to see if there is anything new. It has now been 2 years since my son was diagnosed with KD. In the week before he even started having symptoms, he was urinating a few times in one hour. We went to the dr. and they couldn't figure out what was wrong...a week later the KD symptoms came. The doctors did not think the 2 were related but I'm not quite convinced yet.

Now, 2 years (almost exactly) later, he is starting with the frequent urination again. He even wet the bed which is SO not typical for my son, he hasn't had an accident since the potty training days. He will also throw these tantrums if he is hungry or thirsty and can't get food or drink right then. He's not always able to tell us that's what he needs but it seems to help the problem. It brings tears to my eyes to watch him because it is like he has no control, he'll scream, cry, hit himself in the head, say awful things about himself. This is not usual behavior for my son, under normal circumstances, he is very reasonable and does not throw tantrums. If he wants a toy at the store and I say no, he'll say "ok, maybe for my birthday" and be absolutely fine. So he's not one that just throws tantrums to get what he wants. I'm worried that a doctor will say, "it's normal for kids to throw tantrums." Even though I know this is not normal for my son.

I want to take him back to the doctor to discuss this frequent urination and behaviors. I am very fearful that he's going to start with the KD symptoms any day now since this is exactly what happened 2 years ago. I was wondering if anyone else has seen behaviors like this post KD. My brother was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 6, my son is 5, so obviously my mind starts to worry when I see these possible type 1 symptoms in my son.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.