Heart problems in adulthood?

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
unclezipper

Heart problems in adulthood?

Post by unclezipper » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with KD in 2000 just before my eighth birthday. I received the IVIG treatment a little over a week after my first symptoms, as several doctors misdiagnosed my symptoms as Fifth Disease. I didn't intend to start the topic strictly for this, but as I'm typing I remember first going to see a doctor after vomiting. I recall having severe nausea(though no vomiting) almost daily for nearly a year before my KD bout which suddenly disappeared after vomiting - have any KD patients or parents experienced this? Back on track, I followed up with a cardiologist for several years after my treatment before finally being cleared. I am 22 now, and at the end of last summer I started having heart palpitations.

My first episode was horrible; I was driving and thought I was having a heart attack. The best way that I can describe it is a misfiring. I feel a skipped beat, then a sharp, painful feeling every time my heart would beat, as though someone had hit my chest with a sizable rubber mallet, followed by a very dull, hollow feeling. After 20 seconds to a minute of this, I have severe lethargy and weak muscles to the point of being unable to walk correctly. It has been suggested to me that these may be panic attacks(something that I do not find unreasonable as this tends to happen when under severe amounts of stress), but I have experienced panic attacks before and they feel entirely different. Not to mention, being a Kawasaki patient with a late treatment, I am very cautious of any problems in my chest.

This was my first episode for some time, then about 2 months later I started having less severe ones, usually while laying down or sitting and very rarely while standing. They would happen 2-3 times a day with the occasional debilitating episode happening twice a week. They continued to lessen in severity and frequency until about February, when they finally stopped(conveniently as I was trying to get a cardiologist to look at me). In February I passed a stress test. I have recently been under more stress due to my new job which requires long periods of travel and overtime. I have experienced two mild episodes in the past week. Has anyone else experienced anything similar, and is this something to be worried about? I'm not really in a position to get it checked out as I no longer have insurance and due to the unpredictable and fleeting nature of these episodes, it's difficult to get a doctor to even acknowledge that there may be a problem. Any help is appreciated.

Nancy
KD Forum Leader

Re: Heart problems in adulthood?

Post by Nancy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:59 am

hi

ANY potential cardiac symptoms in anyone with a history of KD = a visit to a Cardiologist and possible work-up to determine if anything new is going on !!

nancy

unclezipper

Re: Heart problems in adulthood?

Post by unclezipper » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi Nancy, thanks for the input. I've already seen a cardiologist about this towards the end of my episodes in February and my symptoms were dismissed as panic attacks. I was given a treadmill stress test and a Holter monitor for 3 weeks, both of which were unable to capture any palpitations. I was hoping another KD survivor might have developed similar problems later in life and either received a diagnosis or treatment; I currently have no insurance and am unable to go back to a cardiologist(who would probably think I'm crazy anyway).