Possible Kawasakis....

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
chocalula

Possible Kawasakis....

Post by chocalula » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:04 am

Hi I just need some advice, a history for my 4 1/2 year old son....20 days ago son got a temp 38.9C, treated with paracetamol but no help, following day both eyes bloodshot, bright red lips, strawberry tongue, a slight rash, nausea and vomitting still temp always above 38.3C, 2 days later no change to any of the symptoms except now had red palms took to after hours doctor who diagnosed Scarlet fever, took throat swab and prescribed amoxyxillin, following day temp constantly over 39C despite ibuprofen and paracetamol constantly and developed a chesty cough,lips now cracking and bleeding, rash disappeared - took to emergency doctor at hospital, diagnosed UTI on top of Scarlet fever, prescribed Deprim, 2 days later we saw family doctor who had swab results negative for Strep A diagnosed viral infection, following day temp remaining constantly over 38.5C all symptoms except the rash now has swollen gums back to emergency at hospital, diagnosed again as Scarlet fever despite negative results, and possibly Far East Scarlet-like Fever, bloodwork done on my request, which showed signs of inflammation- they did not explain and were not worried, temp broke later that night but was around 37.8C for the rest of the week, i asked several times about Kawasakis but was told no he doesn't have peeling hands/not miserable enough/lips not red enough/fever only 9 days...just a nasty virus, took him back to after hours doctor on day 11 who was concerned no response to abx after 6 days and referred to emergency paed who was quite sure it wasn't Kawasakis and just viral, but to watch for peeling hands, 2 days later fingers starting peeling and started complaining/waking at night with sore knees and ankles, took him back to paed at hospital who did ECG-normal, bloodwork- inflammation still present but lower, she said she was not comfortable saying it wasn't Kawasakis because he presented some of the symptoms and booked an ECHO which was also normal,will repeat in 4 weeks, now he still complains occasionally of sore knees and ankles, eyes still inflamed several times daily and lips constantly cracking bleeding, and quite alot of peeling on fingers and toes, should I consult doctor again or just wait until the follow up ECHO? I really have no faith in any of the doctors here after seeing what was actually recorded on his paperwork I doubt anyone was listening at all until the last Paed i saw who ordered the ECHO, should i be concerned or is my son one of the lucky ones misdiagnosed but sailing thru the aftermath of Kawasakis unscathed? Sorry for the essay, any advice is greatly appreciated

atulp
10+ Posts

Re: Possible Kawasakis....

Post by atulp » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:04 pm

So sorry to hear about your son's ordeal. I'm not sure if at this point it's too late for ivig and sounds like your son may be fine. But, I do just want to let you know that you don't need all symptoms to have kawasaki disease. My daughter was diagnosed with atypical kawasaki for that exact reason, she had some but not all symptoms of the disease. Thankfully the doctors at our hospital correctly diagnosed her at day 5 of her fever. It actually wasn't until after 2 doses of ivig and being discharged that she developed peeling skin on her hands and feet. We actually felt a little relieved because it solidified in our minds that she in fact did have kd. Also, not sure why your doctor said it couldn't be kawasaki because it was only 9 days of fever. A key symptom is 5 straight days of fever, and ideally they try to treat with ivig before day 10. Also post treatment they prescribe daily doses of aspirin, has your son been prescribed asprin? My daughter waa on a high dose treatment for a few days after we left the hospital and a low dose until we get the green light from her cardiologist. She had follow up echos at 2 weeks and 6 weeks (her 6 week mark is Monday so we are praying everything looks good). You should find out from your pediatrician, a pediatric cardiologist and or an infectious disease doctor if ivig is no longer needed or can't still be beneficial. Maybe it would help any lingering joint pain your son has? Also, I'd inquire about if your son should be taking aspirin. Best of luck to you and your son!

chocalula

Re: Possible Kawasakis....Update....JIA :(

Post by chocalula » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi thanks for your reply :) and sorry for taking so long to get back on here, to say the least the last 6 weeks have been horrid!! Well long story short my little man kind of recovered from his "possible kawasakis", "probable viral illness", took him 3 weeks to slightly get back to normal then we had 1 good week then everything went downhill, the fever returned, the dry cracked lips returned, his eyes have been bloodshot ever since the original illness and he developed major major arthritic symptoms in both hands, ankles, knees and neck, he has just in the last couple of days been confirmed to have Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis probably the Systemic type (they are still putting pieces together to get a definite diagnosis of the type because he is presenting a puzzling case) he also has Uveitis in both eyes which is a double blow, and rare to get with systemic JIA, they believe the illness 6 weeks ago was the onset because he presented with arthritis towards the end of it, the peds said JIA and Kawasakis kind of overlap in presentation early on. His 2nd echo was good :) but now they believe its systemic JIA he will be monitored closely because this type not only affects joints it is a full body inflammation and has the capacity to affect all major organs :( he is currently double dosed ibuprofen and paracetamol which takes the edge off the pain and waiting for the Ped rheumatologist to get a plan up and running for his treatments. Again thanks for your reply gosh i know 6 weeks ago i was going round in circles and to find this site gave me some peace of mind, and now i am again going round in circles