Benadryl and KD?

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
candyjane82

Benadryl and KD?

Post by candyjane82 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:04 am

Hello, Friends.

After running a slight fever for 1.5 days and having a single stint of vomiting, my 3yo suddenly woke from his nap with a bright red rash encompassing his entire body along with a single bloodshot eye.

As the rash came on so quickly and it was unlike any I'd ever seen, I rushed him to urgent care. The NP was quick to suggest KD and told me to monitor him and take him to the hospital immediately if any other symptoms appear. He prescribed Benadryl for the rash and Tylenol for the fever. Both are responding accordingly, however, he now has two bloodshot eyes.

My questions:

1) Is he exhibiting enough symptoms to warrant a hospital visit/second opinion now, or is waiting to see how it progresses best at this point?

2) How does a typical KD rash respond to Benadryl? His is still there, but is no longer red or inflamed, after just two doses. Does this mean it isn't KD?

I'd never heard of KD before today and Google is not being an encouraging or helpful friend. Big thanks go out to anyone who can offer input.

Crleibo

Re: Benadryl and KD?

Post by Crleibo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:13 am

I am just seeing your post and it has been a few weeks since your post. Did your son get better? I am hoping you and your son are well and no longer in any need of support. Wanted to reach out in case things were not better.