Readmission Criteria to School

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
AssistantDirector

Readmission Criteria to School

Post by AssistantDirector » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:23 pm

We have a diagnosed case of Kawasaki Disease at our school.
We want to make sure not to keep the child from school any longer than necessary or readmit her sooner than what is safe for her.

What are the criteria that should be considered before readmitting a child to a preschool program.

Thank you so much for your help!

Nancy
KD Forum Leader

Re: Readmission Criteria to School

Post by Nancy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:01 pm

hi

Kawasaki Disease is NOT contagious !!!

Therefore, the only concerns about the child returning to school will be concerning how he/she feels and the physician's clinical determination.

The child's pediatric cardiologist should be the one to determine when the child is ready to return to school

As an example, my son was diagnosed with Kawasaki Disease on a Monday and returned to school the following Monday on his pediatric cardiologist's advice.

Regards,
Nancy Foster
Kawasaki Disease Foundation volunteer

Joe
kdforum.org

Post by Joe » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:57 am

Agree with Nancy 100%.

AssistantDirector

Post by AssistantDirector » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:58 am

I am aware that Kawasaki is NOT contagious.

I was more concerned about exhaustion for the child, but now I know, we need to have a note from the child's cardiologist to okay the return.

Thank you so much for your input. :D

fatgser

Post by fatgser » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:23 am

We kept Hannah off for six weeks after her IVIG ............... she was very tired and had lost confidence and generally not herself. Another thing to consider is the fact that your pupil will I assume be on low dose aspirin.............. kids taking aspirin ( which is not normally advised for kids) need to avoid chicken pox and flu ........... we decided (rightly or wrongly) to wait the six weeks until she had her cardio scan and could stop the aspirin ........... it also gave her time to recover .............. I personally felt pressure from her doctor to make her return sooner which other parent with K/D also felt