Meningitis B Vaccine and Kawasaki Disease

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
Caterism

Meningitis B Vaccine and Kawasaki Disease

Post by Caterism » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:56 am

Hi,

With the lack of information known about Kawasaki Disease already among the medical community, I thought I'd come here to pick the thoughts of the collective parental community instead.

So, my question is with the new Meningitis B Vaccine that they're now giving to children born since 1st May 2015 and children that have had Kawasaki Disease. For those children born before that date it's available if you pay for it.

My daughter was 5 when she had KD (she's now 7), and made a full recovery thankfully. This link to the Meningitis Now website (https://www.meningitisnow.org/how-we-he ... b-vaccine/) says that in rare cases the vaccination can cause KD which in itself is fine, it's listed as rare. However I can't seem to find any information on whether it is safe for children who have had KD to then have the Meningitis jab.

I've spoken to my GP who pointed me to this forum as a good resource, but whilst he said the jab "shouldn't" cause any problems since it's not a live vaccine, his advice was that they're not recommending any children "outside of the guidelines" to have the vaccine due to not a lot being known about KD. It's a very confusing situation as you want to protect against Meningitis but you don't know the risk if you do.

What's everyone's views on this?

Thanks in advance.

Victoria1

Re: Meningitis B Vaccine and Kawasaki Disease

Post by Victoria1 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi

I'm in the same position, my daughter had KD when she was only 5 months old, she did have a aneurysm on her left artery which has resolved. I really want my children to have this jab done but I am worried about the KD concern, as Isabella fell poorly after her booster jab. It's horrible as you put it to the back of your mind and then it and then it's there again. Sorry this is really unhelpful just always scared I suppose of it coming back, or the aftermath the disease can cause as there is still so little information on it!!

Either way the choice we make will be the right one! X