Atypical Strep throat symptoms after KD

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
JaxMom

Atypical Strep throat symptoms after KD

Post by JaxMom » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:11 am

My son had KD in 2014. He's had Strep 3 times in the last year. His symptoms are a head to toe rash and his face swells up. If I don't get him on steroids within a few hours of the rash starting his face will swell to the point that is eyes are swollen shut.

He does not have a fever, red or sore throat, no headache, but the strep test always comes back positive.

The pediatrician says she's never seen anything like it. I've often wondered if it was some how related to KD.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

jlrankin

Re: Atypical Strep throat symptoms after KD

Post by jlrankin » Fri May 05, 2017 9:44 am

Hey jaxmom,

My daughter has also had a problem with atypical strep since being diagnosed and treated for KD in March 2015. I'm not sure if it's related or not (as lots of kids get strep all the time) but her symptoms are prolonged high fever (more than a week), lethargy, and refusal to eat or drink and bad breath. When I take her to the doctor they say her throat looks fine but this has happened twice in the last six months and she has actually been strep positive both times when I finally convinced them to do a swab. They did consider both times that it may be a reactivation of the KD but thank goodness both times it was strep. She didn't get any of the swelling symptoms your little guy had but I will keep it in mind in case it does happen. I hope he's been strep free for a while now :)

Welshhills

Re: Atypical Strep throat symptoms after KD

Post by Welshhills » Mon May 15, 2017 12:27 pm

My granddaughter has had two cases of strep throat in roughly the past two months. The strep test was positive the second time; never heard back on the first test, so we assumed it was negative.
But she still has a rash which began with the second bout, which was a few weeks ago. The doctor was not concerned about the rash, and it has lessened over time. But it's interesting to know there are other KD kids with strep and rashes.