Recurrence of KD?

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
Gigibelle

Recurrence of KD?

Post by Gigibelle » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:17 pm

Last spring, my daughter was diagnosed with KD and treated with iViG therapy and aspirin, following presentation of some of the classic symptoms but not all symptoms including: bilateral conjunctivitis, high persistent non responsive fever, headache, swollen cervical lymph nodes, red, cracked bleeding lips, rash on palms of hands, nausea and vomiting. Confirmation in bloodwork and an echocardiogram which showed a small aneurism confirmed. This was just over a year ago in April and she was 7 years old at the time. One year post treatment both her echo's showed the damage reversed and she received a clean bill of health. At the time, they said she was atypical due to her gender, female, her age, 7 years old, and caucasian.

Now, 1 year 3 months from initial diagnosis and treatment, at age 8, she has had strep throat treated unsuccessfully twice in the past two months. Yesterday morning, spiked a fever of 103F that is not responsive at all to meds but had no symptoms other than fever and nausea. Today there are more symptoms: non responsive fever of 103.5F, severe pain in her eyes, hypersensitivity to light and temperature in her eyes, severe headache, nausea, swollen cervical lymph nodes, joint pain, extreme weakness. I took her to the pediatrician today. She was prescribed antibiotics, a throat culture taken, but the pediatrician is going to check with the hospital about recurrence of KD. Her symptoms this time are slightly different than the first round (she has not been diagnosed yet a second time however at this point) as there is no bilateral conjunctivitis, purple rash on palms of hands, bleeding lips.

I am worried about a recurrence of this nightmare. Doctors seem to know so little about this disease. Can anyone lend any insight? Something just does NOT feel right and instinct is kicking in. I am so worried!!!!

Nicole, mom to Kira

Nancy
KD Forum Leader

Re: Recurrence of KD?

Post by Nancy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:10 pm

hi

Skip the pediatrician and contact the pediatric cardiologist who originally treated her !
Definitely deserves an expert evaluation and opinion :)

Best of luck,
nancy