Bone health/Fractures and KD

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
emak

Bone health/Fractures and KD

Post by emak » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:48 pm

Hi! I had KD when I was 3 years old and am 26yrs old now. As far as I know I recovered well and didn't have any lingering symptoms correlating to KD. However, my whole life I have felt my joints are quite inflexible/stiff moving (more so than the average person) and get achy/injured joints easily. I also take a lot longer to heal injuries than others. I never correlated it with KD, however after researching it recently I am wondering if the inflammation of KD has something to do with this. I have seen from the posts here that other adults also have similar symptoms. Possibly?
I also enjoy being active and have always loved running, however any amount of running results in stress fractures - I've had 14+ over the past 10 years. I know this sounds like a case of over training, but I honestly don't know how I could be over training - I'm a physiotherapist now, so I am fairly knowledge about training parameters. When I was younger I wasn't as smart about training, but at the same time I wasn't going crazy with it. I have spent a lot of time strength training and fixing my biomechanics since then, so I have the strength and fitness level to easily run. I now find any amount of running results in bone pain/fracture. For instance I haven't tried running in 6 months, but with the nice weather I have gone for a couple 'runs.' I started at 1 min running/1 min walking and even doing this for 20 - 30 mins has resulted in the beginnings of a stress fracture. I find it frustrating that Dr's think I'm a young, healthy person and don't find this alarming or have an answer. I was curious as to whether anyone else on here has experienced or knows anything about bone health and KD? Thanks for any input!