Post-treatment symptoms

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
Nancy
KD Forum Leader

Re: Post-treatment symptoms

Post by Nancy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:42 pm

hi

Emailing his cardiologist is exactly the right thing to do ! I used to email my son's cardiologist frequently in the first
few months after he had KD and a few times a year after that for several years :)

Please let me know what he says !

Best,
Nancy

OliversMom
10+ Posts

Post by OliversMom » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:29 pm

So I never heard back from the cardiologist. But I got my family doctor to redo my sons blood work for peace of mind that way at least. We go over the results this coming Tuesday. I'm hoping everything will come back normal!

OliversMom
10+ Posts

Post by OliversMom » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:54 pm

Hi,

So we got my son's blood work back today and his liver is back to normal. I never saw the numbers for his CRP or ESR at the time of diagnosis and they weren't tested again after until I asked which I received with this last test. His CRP is normal but his ESR is 16 and normal is less than 15. My doctor said there's no point in retesting because it will return to normal. I have no basis of comparison for it so I can't tell if it went down and is coming back up or if it has just been on a steady decline. It's been since December the 5th or 6th when his symptoms started. Is it normal for his ESR to still be slightly elevated? And should I be worried that the inflammation lasting so long could have made his heart worse? I feel like the doctors think I'm a nut and just wave me off.

Nancy
KD Forum Leader

Post by Nancy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:09 pm

hi

My son's pediatric cardiologist says that it takes at least 8 weeks for bloodwork values to drop back to normal levels, which
is why he doesn't do any follow up blood tests until then :)

So, I wouldn't worry right now at the end of January :)

take care
Nancy

Carrie23

Post by Carrie23 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:35 pm

My 6 yr old son was diagnosed with KD and it's been 5 weeks and his ESR is still 22. I too am wondering if this is normal to still be so high at this point.