Daniel's Story

Personal stories of individuals and families affected by Kawasaki disease
Joe
kdforum.org

Daniel's Story

Post by Joe »

My son Daniel starting showing symptoms of KD when he was 3 months old on Friday October 22nd, 2004.

It was a gut wrenching experience for my wife Kristin and I. He was an atypical case: low grade fever around 99, red cracked lips, red sole on one foot, small body rash around his belly, and very cranky. Back and forth to the doctor's office and after hours clinic several times. Then finally to the ER because he just was not doing any better, very fussy. Our doctor diagnosed it as KD on Tuesday October 26th, 2004, and Daniel was treated with IVIG and aspirin that night. Daniel came home from the hospital on Friday October 29th. What a week.

We were on edge until mid December 2004 when his cardiologist gave us the all-clear. To the best of common knowledge and what's known about KD as of today, Daniel was left with no permanent effects.

My recommendation to all parents: Tell your doctor everything, no matter how insignifcant it may seem. We are very fortunate to have such an excellent doctor. She has been thorough and compassionate in everything she has done. Our most sincere thanks to her.

As of today, July 13th 2007, Daniel is a happy 3 year old little boy. We are blessed to have him in our lives.
Daniel and his big sister Ashleigh Marie at her pre-school graduation in June 2007.
Daniel and his big sister Ashleigh Marie at her pre-school graduation in June 2007.
a&d.jpg (44.9 KiB) Viewed 2994 times
Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those families and people affected by KD.

-Joe

devinsmom

Re: Daniel's Story

Post by devinsmom »

WOW! As a mother of a teen that was diagnosed while living abroad, I am glad you had such a short experience and have gone on to help others. I think my story will benefit others and enlighten some. Thank you and I am sorry you all endured that at such a young age I can NOT IMAGINE your anguish. Thank you for reaching out to others.

bethroth
KD Forum Leader

Re: Daniel's Story

Post by bethroth »

What an adorable picture. So glad things are going well.
Beth