I had "Coksiakie"

Personal stories of individuals and families affected by Kawasaki disease
Gilly

I had "Coksiakie"

Post by Gilly » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:44 am

Hi all,

Recently I have learned that I had Kawasaki disease when I was 5 yrs old. I had always thought I had something like Mumps because I remember my face getting swollen like you see in people who have Mumps, except mine was only swollen on one side. We noticed the problem with my face when my mother and I were wrestling around, she pretended to sit on me and I had screamed because my face hurt from the pressure. So we went to the doc and he had diagnosed me with something that had stuck in my memory as "Coksiakie". So Coksiakie = one sided mumps I guess. I also remember having pink eye around that time and going to the doctor to have them look at my vagina for some reason. Apparently I didn't have any serious complications, that I know of.

So anyway, that's my memory of it. I'm 27 now and recently asked my mom what I had when I was 5. She said I had Kawasaki disease but said the doctor pronounced it differently which may be why I thought it was "Coksiakie".

I was a bit confused by this diagnosis because I'm Caucasian "Scottish and French" with a little Native American, and I'm Female. I read that it's rare outside of Japan/Korea, but not unheard of.

So I'm wondering if I should bring this up with my current physician and if there are any lasting effects I should take note of?

There may be a few things that KD has contributed to:
Had conjunctivitis (pink eye) several times in my life.
Being lethargic all the time.
Having high blood pressure when I was 14 (probably due to anxiety and PTSD at the time). Had an EKG at that time, and it's the only one I remember having.
Having severe depression and anxiety my WHOLE damn life (probably environmental).
I have migraines (my mom has them too though).
I've had an extreme case of acne on my back from age 15-22, now it's a lot less but I still get breakouts.
My extremities get really swollen and itchy at random times. I remember having this happen in high school and I thought my fingers were going to burst.
I have a bunch of "floaters" in my right eye. They're annoying and I think I'm a little young for that.
This may be too personal -- but yay for being anonymous -- I have had a hemorrhoid for as long as I can remember, though it's not painful. I was thinking since that's a blood vessel, that it got exacerbated sometime when I was young possibly due to KD. I dunno, just a thought.

So does anyone's experience/symptoms sound anything like mine?