My 4 month old son Evans story

Personal stories of individuals and families affected by Kawasaki disease
Post Reply
Ericajane78
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:04 pm

My 4 month old son Evans story

Post by Ericajane78 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:29 pm

We went to his pedis office last Tuesday for his routine 4 month visit and vaccines. He was happy and healthy, checked out fine. The next day after his shots, he started running a fever. It was 101.7 around lunch time so I gave him some infants tylenol, assuming it was from his shots. Later that night, his temp spiked again, this time up to 103.6. I had his dr paged and he said to bring him to the er. At the er he became so cranky and inconsolable. We were admitted to the hospital that night. They did X-rays, bloodwork, urinalysis and everything was coming up normal except for an elevated white count. His dr put him on fluids and iv antibiotics, assuming it was bacterial or viral. The next day he started having redness on his face. His temp spiked up to 104.9 that night. He started vomiting and having diarrhea and the rash spread to his neck and back. Dr started leaning more towards something viral. Labs were repeated and white count had went down. The following day his rash was much worse. It was covering his whole body now and he was looking swollen. His eyes were so red he liked so much worse. I started pushing the dr to send us to Texas Children's hospital. Something was not right! Finally on Saturday he innitiated a transfer to Houston. As soon as we arrived the drs started telling me about kd and that we would start the ivig treatment and high dose aspirin the following day, since we were only on day 4 of fever. We started the treatment the following morning. His fever started dropping quickly. He started eating and holding it down! After the treatment, he had an echocardiogram. All was normal. They kept us in the hospital until he was fever free for 36 hours. We have only been home since yesterday. He is almost back to normal now except for the fussiness. He does not want to be put down. He won't take his pacifier anymore. His lips are still red, and his cheeks are red, but all the other redness and swelling has gone away. I'm waiting to have my happy little man back! We will have a follow up echo done in 2 weeks and 6 weeks post ivig. And we are on low dose aspirin therapy now.

Post Reply